Manganese Alloys

Manganese Alloys

Manganese plays an incredibly significant role in our day-to-day lives. As per the International Manganese Institute, it is the fourth most used metal on earth in terms of tonnage, behind iron, aluminium, and copper. It has numerous applications, including objects made of steel, portable batteries, or aluminium beverage cans. Manganese has played a key role in the development of various steelmaking processes and its continuing importance is indicated by the fact that about 90% of all manganese consumed annually goes into steel to neutralize the harmful effects of oxygen, sulphur and to add special properties as an alloying element. The bulk production of steel is multi-purpose low carbon steel containing from 0.15% - 0.8% Manganese. A large part consists of low carbon steel sheets with less than 0.3% Manganese. High strength steels, representing 3-4% of the tonnage of steel produced contain more than 1% Manganese. Steels containing 13% Manganese or more have unique properties which make them indispensable for applications where great toughness and wear resistance are required.

Manganese is mainly added to the liquid steel in the form of manganese alloys. Of the Manganese added to steel 30% is added because of its properties as sulphide former and deoxidant, while the other 70% is added purely as alloying element. There are two major manganese alloy categories used in the industry today - Silico Manganese (SiMn) or Ferro Silico Manganese & Ferro Manganese (FeMn). 

Silico Manganese consists of Manganese (Mn), Silicon (Si), Iron (Fe) and minor elements in small quantities such as Carbon (C), Phosphorus (P), Sulphur (S) etc. SiMn is available as medium carbo (MC) & low carbon (LC). Si is a powerful deoxidiser and is also an alloying component in some steels, for example spring steel. Mn is a milder deoxidiser than Si and aluminium but enhances their effectiveness due to the formation of stable manganese silicates and aluminates. 

Ferro Manganese is available in high carbon (HC), medium carbon (MC), low carbon (LC) and low carbon (VLC) grades. For addition of requisite Mn & Si, steel makers have a choice of using FeMn and Ferro Silicon or SiMn. There is an increasing trend in the industry to use SiMn in recent times due to economic factors.

We in the Sarda Metals & Alloys Limited offer customized specifications and sizes as per the customer’s requirements. Below are the details of the various products offered by SMAL

High Carbon Silico Manganese
Particular Content HC SiMn 60-14 HC SiMn 65-15 HC SiMn 65-16 HC SiMn 65-16 HC SiMn 70-14/15
Manganese Min 60% 65% 65% 65% 70%
Silicon Min 14% 15% 16% 16% 14-18%
Carbon Max 2.50% 2.50% 2.00% 2.00% 2.50%
Phosphorus Max 0.30% 0.30% 0.2-0.3% 0.2-0.3% 0.25%
Sulphur Max 0.03% 0.03% 0.03% 0.03% 0.03%


High Carbon Ferro Manganese

Particular Content HC FeMn 70 HC FeMn 75 HC FeMn 73-78
Manganese Min 70% 75% 73-78%
Silicon Min 1.50% 1.50% 1.20%
Carbon Max 6.0-8.0% 6.0-8.0% 7.3%
Phosphorus Max 0.30% 0.2-0.3% 0.2-0.3%
Sulphur Max 0.03% 0.03% 0.03%